3.06.2009

Some people are born with a good sense of direction...

...and some people aren't. I fall into the group of people born without a sense of direction or a good sense of distance. What inspired this post? My commute home from work today.

We finally had a really nice day! I haven't had a good workout for weeks because of the cold weather, being really sick, working long hours, and having little to no self-discipline (another hour in bed helps you get well right? maybe a workout at the gym would had been better). So because of the wonderful weather I decided to walk to Foggy Bottom metro instead of getting on the metro by work.

I walked that route 4-5 times a week last summer so I felt that I really didn't need to pay attention to my surrounding plus I thought I would mix things up a bit and take a slightly different route. I saw great parts of GW that I had never seen before and now I know where the World Bank complex is located (it only took me seven years to randomly stumble upon it). I hit 23rd Street and turned left. Suddenly I looked up and the Lincoln Memorial. Apparently I should have turned right.

No worries I thought - I will just walk across the bridge and get on the Rosslyn metro - I was already this far and feeling great.
It would have been a brilliant plan IF the bridge by the Lincoln Memorial was the Key Bridge that went to Rosslyn instead of the Roosevelt Bridge that goes to Arlington Cemetary (and the Arlington metro closes at dark and it was now dark). Luckily, I figured it out before crossing the bridge. So I looped around and spent 15 minutes crossing 4 lanes of rush hour traffic in the dark (apparently no has ever needed a cross walk across Rock Creek Parkway) and hiked up the hill to the Kennedy Center. Thank heavens for the the free shuttle back to the Foggy Bottom Metro Station.

Nothing like a nice 2.5 mile stroll on the way home from work. :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are safe from that little walking adventure! It was fun to "walk" with you through DC though.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    love, Abby

    ReplyDelete